Friday 5 May 2017

Corporate ladder vs Woman

This post is the reflection of my introspection  over every woman who envisions to grow in corporate ladder. Interviews what we hear about Sheryl Sandberg, Indra Nooyi ,Kiran mazumdar shah still belongs to that 10% of woman at top management. If there would have been a gradient shift in this percentage , then their interviews will not be about the hardships they have faced all through the journey.

Every year we have heard about policies unfolding at corporate offices when women's day comes round the corner. Smell of rose bouquets , vibrant colored balloons and over flooding wishes in all our gadgets and social networking sites. Surface level compliments tries to give a good aura for the particular day and it vanishes in a whimsical way. Now I have seen both metros and cosmopolitan life. Hence my agony made me to jot the experiences I had in  my six years of corporate journey at multiple organizations.

What Wedding bell means  in Woman employees life?
When I got married , I can sense the skeptical view  in my lady boss face and she threw a question "why am I overwhelmed about married life?". If anyone is not overwhelmed I guess they dwell in the last stage of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Why don't people acknowledge beautiful changes in life.
That was the time I was shunting between two different states for my work with few days in Bangalore and few days in NCR . She has forgotten the point of uncontrollable x factors involved in relocation though they can give a jazzy name with the term "Work from Home" without setting clear infrastructure in place. I tested and experimented this model for couple of months and it pinched me to the heights when my immediate lady manager checked about the periodicity of my menstruation cycle as soon as I said unwell. I have faced these point blank questions from lady bosses consecutively who are in the age group of 40-50.
 I feel we Indians should really work upon work-life balance and so called leaders should really work upon leading a team without just managing it. They should know to inspire a person more than poking into micro transactions. Moreover  we should experiment  divide and conquer theory at our homes irrespective of gender difference. Divorces and attritions still majorly come from the same rootcause, uneven load distribution.

Work from Home or Work for Home:
 The next jazzy term is work from Home. Many non ITians believe work from home as the great luxury which IT folks exclusively enjoy. Within the IT group, male folks sarcastically bounce a joke over female collegues "Is it work from Home or work for Home". Unless a culture is brought in to appreciate the work more than the mode and way of working ,it will backfire the morale of team. I have seen folks who have not promoted in their career as they work in "work from Home mode"

Maternity vs Political tornado
 Iam happy to announce   we are so excited to welcome a new kiddo in our family. Happily Iam involved in  a challenging project in this tenure ,nevertheless I have come across another stunning head who can vent out her incapabilities in the name of review and who is eagerly waiting for my maternity break. Maternity is any woman's right and when senior management tries to ride on that energy there comes a flaw in the system. We are not in the generation to hide baby bump with a coat ,its not a shy thing to attend business meetings and to crack a deal or to provide a continuous lecture for 4 hours for the joy of work.

But political tornado when it sweeps in just to corner a woman employee with maternity reason ,that's intolerable. All the three reasons are something which any woman employee would have faced directly or indirectly. If not that's an ecosystem we should wish for.

Organisations should really work on eliminating the perennial roots if they want to question their statistical numbers in regard to gender inclusiveness.

Post Script: Sooner planning to work on a book in this theme.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment